Saturday, September 22, 2018

AVL A-Series 40" 24 Shaft CD 4.5 Loom, New to me.

Earlier this year I found an AVL 60" Compu Dobby loom for sale by an individual.  I was not the first to contact the seller and she had someone interested, who eventually purchased the loom.

I was happy, and still am, with my HD 8 shaft 36" loom.  However,  I was always curious about Compu Dobby looms and wanted something wider.  The loom above was a great deal for everything included, but the cost is still high, about the price of a used car.

The cost was a major deciding factor for me.  I feel guilty spending that kind of money on myself, so I spoke to my husband and he said if I really wanted one, get it.  I continued looking for a used loom offered by an individual, but there were none that would work for me.


AVL is located in Chico, CA.  I like that they are very innovative and continue to create looms with better computers and enhanced features.  I still could not bring myself to order a new loom because of the cost, but AVL buys back looms from their customers.  They go over the loom completely and replace worn parts.

AVL did not have any pre-owned looms that fit my requirements so I kept watching their website.  One day an A-series 40" 24 shaft CD III became available.  They offered an upgrade to the newest CD4.5.  So I jumped on it.

I emailed Bob Kruger at AVL with a few questions and he responded the next day.  I confirmed my order with him within a few days and made a deposit of 50%.  I decided to get a warping wheel, add a single box fly shuttle to the loom, changed one of the plain beams for a 1 yd sectional beam and converted the beater to an overhead beater.

Now the hardest part of ordering the loom ensued.  I had to wait 12 weeks for delivery.

During that time I downloaded the assembly manual and tried to learn as much as possible about multi-shaft weaving and creating drafts for 24 shafts.  I also started working with Fiberworks weaving software.  I downloaded the free copy to make sure it was what I wanted to purchase when I got the loom.

The time went quickly, and before I knew it the loom had arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment