Monday, September 17, 2018

Looms...Backstrap to Computer Dobby

I love my Harrisville 36" 8 shaft loom.

It amazes me that over the history of looms they are still basically the same.

A wood frame that holds a warp beam and cloth beam to keep the warp taught.  Shafts and heddles to choose and lift the warp threads and a beater with a reed.  The only other tool needed is a shuttle to place the weft.

In my travels through Peru, Cambodia and Thailand, georgeous fabrics are still woven on backstrap looms.  The women using them anchor one end to a tree or anything available, sit on the ground and weave most of the day.  The loom is folded around itself and is light weight and portable.

What else does one need?  Well...it turns out I and many other weavers need (want) much more.

More shafts, more sizes of reeds, sectional beams, Dobbys, Computer Dobbys, wireless connections...

My question is,   At what point does technology overshadow the art of weaving?

Did moving from a backstrap loom to a floor loom make the woven fabric less handmade?

Did moving from 2 shafts to 4, 8, 16, 24 shafts change it also?

Does using a Computer Dobby take the personal touch out of creating a fabric?

These were all questions I asked myself when considering getting a 24 shaft Computer Dobby loom.

My answer is that the addition of these tools allows for greater creativity, not the loss of the art of weaving.

What do you think?




1 comment:

  1. Hi i really like your weaving yarns please how can i get it Esther a weaver in Kenya my email is njembu @yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete