Monday, November 26, 2018

Candy Cane Christmas Design


This design caught my attention while reading Ravelry.com Warped Weavers.  It is the perfect design to weave for Christmas.  There are versions for 4 shaft and 8 shaft drafts, but I enlarged the design for   16 shafts because I wanted to weave a table runner and placemats.

The basic draft is an undulating twill where the color placement creates the candy cane effect.  If you play around with the color placement you can create many designs from this draft.  It is easy to weave since you only use one color in the weft and it is a simple treading.

I warped the loom with 8/2 Cotton and added red Lurex to the red cotton stripe.  It gives it a nice shine, but the Lurex does not shrink.  This created some bumps in the finished fabric which I do not like and would not do it again.

I used several different yarns for the weft.  First I used Linen for a table runner.  The second runner I used 8/2 Cotton and the placemats I used 3/2 Cotton.  I liked the 8/2 cotton results the best.

This is a draft that I will definitely weave again.  I think I will use the 8 shaft draft to create dish towels.  There is a front and back to this design.  The green stripe on the front has a nicer look on the front of the draft than on the back.


No comments:

Post a Comment