Tuesday, December 11, 2018

24 Shaft Design



What I love about my AVL Loom is the intricate designs that can be woven with 24 shafts.  By using 24 shafts it enlarges the scale of the pattern woven,  Technically, if the pattern is sett at 24 ends per inch and it is repeated as a point twill, the pattern should be 2 inches.  Because of draw-in the design is slightly smaller than 2".

The challenge with an obviously square design is beating it so it is square.  I am using 8/2 Tencel sett at 24 EPI.  My natural beat is closer to 27-30 Picks Per Inch which would make the design shorter than wide.  It takes some concentration to get the beat light enough to be 24 EPI.

I could sett the Tencel closer which would make beating it square easier, but that would create a stiffer fabric.  Since I want this to be a scarf and have a nice drape I chose 24 EPI.

This draft is #29521 from Handweaving.net. This is a website with a collection of drafts and documents written about weaving.  You may browse the site for free.  When you purchase an annual subscription for $20. you can download WIF files of the drafts.  There are drafts from 2 shafts up to at least 36 shafts.

Handweaving.net is a fantastic source of drafts as well as documents which include entire books like Peter Collingwood, The Techniques of Rug Weaving and many short articles on multiple subjects.


No comments:

Post a Comment