Saturday, January 19, 2019

Double Weave Window Panes


I am currently working on a Double Weave project.

I have done several DW projects in the past.  One was a piano keyboard and several Double Wide items.  Studying Double Weave is on my list this year and this is my first project.

Window panes is one of my favorite drafts.  I love how the colored window panes are surrounded by the black frames.  It is also a good draft to understand how the various layers in DW exchange places to create the design.

To make things more interesting, I created a gradient using two similar colors within the windows.  Doing this requires using 3 shuttles, one for the black, and one for each color.  Shuffling the shuttles gets a little difficult and slows the weaving down.  I am enjoying the pace of this weave although I would not want to do it all the time.

To change the design it is easy to weave the windows square or elongated and changing the colors is fun.

I am weaving 2 scarves with this warp on my AVL Loom.  The warp and weft are both Tencel and I chose a sett of 15 EPI on each layer, or 30EPI.  Using a 10 dent reed I threaded 3 ends per dent.  I will need to get the scarves off the loom and wet finish them to determine if the sett is open enough to create a nice drape in the scarves.  Since the fabric is doubled I want the sett to be open enough that it is not too thick and stiff.

To learn Double Weave I have Jennifer Moore's Video and Book.  A new and revised edition of her book has just become available.  Here is a link to it in Amazon:  Jennifer Moore Double Weave

I have not seen the new book but the original is a great source to learn DW.  If you put a warp on your loom and follow along you easily learn many ways to use DW.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful ! I just got her new book, and can't wait to expore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. porte como

    ReplyDelete